Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Bangalore offers free medical services in Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Neurology, Neuro Surgery.
Neurological conditions evaluated and treated routinely at SSSIHMS include the following:
1. Face head and neck pain
2. Epilepsy and related conditions
3. Cerebrovascular diseases
4. Infections of the CNS
5. Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and other demyelinating disorders
7. Parkinson’s Disease and movement and ataxic disorders
8. ALS and Other Motor Neuron Diseases
9. Trigeminal Neuralgia, Bell’s Palsy, and Other Cranial Nerve Disorders
10. Spinal Cord Diseases
11. Peripheral Neuropathies including Guillain-Barre´ Syndrome
12. Neuromuscular diseases
13. Tumors of the Nervous System
14. Psychiatric disorders and Mental health problems
Face, Head and Neck pain: These patients are generally managed on OPD basis.
1. Atypical Facial Pain
2. Cervical Spondylosis
3. Migraine, other headaches and variants
4. Muscle Contraction Tension Headache
5. Chronic Back Pain
6. Post-herpetic Neuralgia
7. Trigeminal Neuralgia
Epilepsy and related conditions: These patients are investigated as required and treatment instituted. Some patients depending upon their condition are admitted as part of their management.
1. Fits, black outs, jerks and faints
2. non – epileptic attacks
3. Sleep disorders
Cerebrovascular diseases : Acute cases are admitted and managed with anti-coagulants and physiotherapy. Chronic cases are evaluated as required.
1. Acute Stroke Management
2. Cerebral Venous Thrombosis
3. TIA Transient Ischemic Attack
Infections of the CNS.: These patients are managed following diagnosis of the infections based on Lumbar puncture and other investigations with admission and institution of appropriate anti-microbial therapy.
1. Meningitis-acute and chronic-bacterial/viral/protozoal/fungal
3. Brain abscess
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and other demyelinating disorders:
1. Optic Neuritis
2. Transverse Myelitis
3. Other demyelinating disorders
Dementia: These patients are investigated.
1. Alzheimer’s disease
2. Vascular dementia / Multi-infarct dementia
3. Reversible dementias
4. Prion (Creutzfeldt-Jakoband Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker disease)
Parkinson’s Disease and movement and ataxic disorders : These patients are seen on an OPD basis and treatment is instituted and optimized as required.
3. Parkinson Disease and related disorders
4. Spinocerebellar ataxias
ALS and Other Motor Neuron Diseases : ENMG and conduction studies are used to reach a definitive diagnosis in these patients.
1. Amyotropic lateral sclerosis / MND
2. Spinal muscular atrophy
Trigeminal Neuralgia, Bell’s Palsy, and Other Cranial Nerve Disorders: Are investigated and treated appropriately.
Spinal Cord Diseases: When surgical intervention is required then the patients are reffered to the sister dept of neurosurgery.
2. Spinal cord tumors
3. Cervical spondylosis
4. Prolapsed disc
5. Transverse myelitis
Peripheral Neuropathies including Guillain-Barre´ Syndrome: ENMG, NCV and Nerve biopsies are conducted for diagnosis.
1. Polyneuropathies eg.diasetic
2. Acuteneuropathies eg GB Syndrome
Neuromuscular diseases: These are investigated by ENMG and Muscle biopsy.
2. Inclusion Body Myositis
3. Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy
4. Metabolic Myopathies
5. Periodic Paralyses
Tumors of the Nervous System: These once diagnosed are dealt by the Neurosurgery department. Psychiatric disorders and Mental health problems: Psychiatric problems when secondary to neurological disorders if diagnosed are treated in-house by a Consultant Psychiatrist.
Appointments are recommnded.